As part of the Kingston Aviation Centenary Project we want to collect the stories and memories of those who worked in Kingston’s aviation industry. So, over the next year these pages will develop into a resource whose purpose is to raise awareness of what was achieved here in the Royal Borough.
It is a proud heritage – one that has never truly been celebrated - and we are looking for volunteers to help collect and record it. So, if you would like to get involved with the historical aspects of the project please contact us.
There are a number of opportunities available – including recording people who played roles in Kingston aviation and writing up the stories.
We are also keen to hear from former Hawker and BAe employees who have stories to tell or who have interesting photographs or memorabilia lurking in their attics.
- Our Oral History Team will be conducting interviews over the next year and putting excerpts and edited transcripts on these pages
- The Hawker People Archive is a photographic record assembled from the collection of ex-employees of the company.
- Here are some of the most memorable stories associated with the Sopwith/Hawker/BAe Kingston companies throughout its 80 year history.
- Here you will find biographies of the most significant people in the company’s history
- And finally, here you will find information about the many locations associated with the company and also the other businesses in the locality who contributed to its supply chain.